What is a Bursary?
Bursary awards are part of the Canadian and United Kingdom education aid programs. Bursary awards are a gift to needy students that enable them to bridge gaps between the amount of financial aid they need to attend a school and the financial support that they receive from family, employment or government assistance.
Legion bursaries are available to students whose parent, grandparent or great-grandparent served or are serving in the Armed Forces of Canada or British Commonwealth Forces and who:
· have completed High School and are continuing their education on a full-time basis at a Post Secondary Educational Institution. This includes students who have finished high school and “have taken a break” from formal education so long as the other criteria are met.
· are continuing their education on a full-time basis at a Post Secondary Educational institution. Post graduate studies however are not admissible for Branch bursaries.
· reside, or have their principal domicile, within the boundaries of the Eastern Marine Branch 161 - these are communities east of the Ross Road (along Highways 7, 107 and 207) to the intersection of Highways 7 and 107, Musquodoboit Harbour
· have an academic standing high enough that they are likely to succeed at the post-secondary level.
Shall be forwarded to the Bursary Chairperson / Secretary of Eastern Marine Branch No. 161 of the Royal Canadian Legion, 6644, Highway #7, Gaetz Brook, Nova Scotia, BOJ 1N0, or may be left at the Branch no later than 6 pm Friday, May 16th, 2020.
The student is responsible for submitting their application with appropriate records, statements and references as follows:
· a letter, written by the student, outlining educational goals, participation in extra-curricular activities and how the student plans to finance his or her studies.
· a letter of reference from a Guidance Counselor or from at least one teacher as to the applicant’s character and qualifications
· academic records or a transcript of marks
· a letter of acceptance from the Post Secondary Institution must accompany this application
· proof of military service of the parent, grandparent or great-grandparent
· any other references about character or extra-curricular activities
Incomplete applications will not be considered – no follow-up action will be taken
Bursary amounts will be decided by the Branch Bursary Committee.